Monday 28 February 2011

My secret vice...

... is sauerkraut. I love it! A lot of foolish people (sadly including my husband and daughter!) turn their noses up for it - why, oh why? It's so fresh, tasty and so ultimately good for you. Cabbage has an awful lot of vitamins and minerals - the Russians used to call it the portable medicine cabinet for its beneficial properties. Add the natural lactic acid formed by wild fermentation and you get a total health bomb! There´s a lot of interesting recipes for using sauerkraut too - I´ve mostly munched mine raw but I´m going to have a go at one of these vegan recipes. I get my daily dose of sauerkraut from the organic vegetable and fruit basket we order weekly. Last week I got very adventurous and got some wild fermented carrots too - tasty but lacked the character of sauerkraut! Mmm! I´m going to have to go and have some!

No comments:

Post a Comment